Justin BeamsSenior Security Consultant
Mr. Beams has more than nine years of experience in the cyber security industry, specializing in Security Information and Event Management (SIEM), firewall management, policy development, compliance efforts, and audit response.
Mr. Beams has worked in both the planning and implementation aspects of the security measures that protect the network and computer assets of various clients. His work has included a consistent emphasis upon Standards Compliance, including:
- Review and development of Information Security Policy,
- Response to Audit Requests from Auditors,
- Propagating High level policy to lower level organizational policy/procedure, and
- Providing Subject Matter Expertise on various network technologies.
Mr. Beams has worked with a variety of technical tools and devices, including:
- Implementation and Support of tools and scanners,
- Configuration and installation of Routers and Switches, Firewalls, Proxies, Wireless networks and equipment,
- Assessing the risk of various network devices, and
- Research of current InfoSec threats and providing recommendations and planning for next steps.
Prior to joining N&ST, Mr. Beams worked for more than five years with the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee (UWM) as an Information Security Analyst. Mr. Beams served as a liaison between the technical staff and leadership for the Information Security Office and oversaw day-to-day operations. He assisted with the development of standards-based Information Security Policies and Programs for the University of Wisconsin System. Additionally, Mr. Beams lead an initiative to bring UW-Milwaukee into compliance with the newly developed program and responded to audit requests by the Wisconsin Legislative Audit Bureau. Mr. Beams also served as an active member and contributor to the Research & Education Networks Information Sharing & Analysis Center (REN-ISAC).
Before specializing in Information Security roles, Mr. Beams spent time as a systems engineer deploying security solutions and hardware for enterprise clients. Mr. Beams’ passion in the industry is assisting clients in developing standards-based, comprehensive, scalable and repeatable solutions to improve overall Information Security posture and compliance.
Mr. Beams received his B.S in Information Technology Management from the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee and his B.S. in Biology from the University of Wisconsin – La Crosse. In addition to his degrees, he holds technical certifications from Juniper, Palo Alto, ADTRAN, and SANS Institute.