Suzanne BlackSenior Security Consultant
Ms. Black has been working in the utility industry since 2003, providing strategic and innovative approaches to compliance programs and business solutions in the Distribution, Transmission and Generation environments. She has extensive experience and knowledge in developing and implementing effective, efficient and sustainable NERC CIP compliance programs by maximizing organizational resources, documenting and streamlining business processes and workflows, and establishing internal controls and monitoring activities. She has delivered practical compliance solutions tailored to meet the needs of the organizations she has served.
Since 2012, Ms. Black has led and participated in NERC CIP compliance procedure development, program oversight, compliance assessments, mock audits, RSAW development, and corrective action planning. Ms. Black has also facilitated and participated in numerous highly successful NERC CIP and NERC 693 on-site audits in the Transmission and Generation environments. Additionally, she has overseen the administration and execution of all aspects of the NERC CIP compliance program for registered entities that represented large and medium BA, RC, TO, TOP, GO, and GOP industry segments.
Recent CIP experience includes:
- Oversight of NERC CIP operational compliance activities associated with asset identification, SME training, access management, recovery plan tabletops, baseline configuration monitoring and CIP baseline change management
- Development and revisions of process workflows and internal controls documentation
- Performance of compliance monitoring and enforcement activities: self-assessments, gap-analysis, non-compliance investigations, mitigation & corrective action planning, self-report submissions, settlement negotiations, and on-site and off-site audit preparations
- Development, execution, and monitoring on compliance implementation plans for new or modified NERC CIP Standards
Ms. Black has worked with a variety of tools and applications including:
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance (GRC) tools
- Identity and Access Management applications
- IT change management systems and workflow management systems
- CIP baseline configuration tracking and reporting tools
Ms. Black actively participates in NERC and industry committees, working groups, and task forces including:
- Active member of the NERC Security Working Group (SWG)
- Active member of the NERC Supply Chain Working Group (SCWG)
- Member of NPCC Task Force for Infrastructure Security & Technology (TFIST)
She was also a former voting member of the NERC CIP Committee (CIPC) from 2018-2020 and member of North American Transmission Forum (NATF) from 2012-2021.
Previous to Ms. Black’s NERC compliance roles, she held positions in emergency action planning, distributed resource interconnections, and work management business analysis. In these roles, she developed risk assessments and mitigation plans, project plans, performance reports, and streamlined business processes.
Ms. Black earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Organizational Leadership from the University of Hartford. She also holds an Associate of Arts degree in Arts, Letters, and Sciences from Pennsylvania State University. Ms. Black has obtained a Project Management Certificate sponsored by Boston University, Lean Six Sigma Green Belt from Purdue University, and ICS-100, IS-200.b, and IS-700.a certifications from FEMA Emergency Management Institute.